Friday, August 04, 2006

a.very sad goodbye


thursday july 13, 2006

see you soon daddy!...

and then the door closes slowly, reluctantly behind me. bags packed and stowed in the car for my latest journey... off to india.

as the car barely inched forward, i looked to the front door of the house. i could see her little image through the glass. although distorted, i could tell she was definitely waving and blowing kisses. one hand pressed against the full length window of the french doors; as if she was trying to push the only thing keeping her from running after me to the side.

i think to myself; "14 days! this will be tough. she will be fine". for all you parents out there you know that this time away equates to missing out on...

- goodnight stories, hugs and kisses and 'i love you's
- 'good morning daddy's, "i want panckakes"
- many car rides to daycare for drop off and pick up (pick up is the best)
- roughly 10 junky but priceless pieces of daycare art
- dinners explaining why ketchup is red and milk is white
- breakfasts and deep discussion on crazy hair and shaving daddy's face
- beach time and swimming and bike rides
- so much more. the list is endless!!

i reconcile myself and all the guilt, worry, uncertainty that is pressing me to go back for one last hug and kiss.

"see you soon!" i cry, as i blow one last kiss from my driver's seat before we are out of view from each other, honking the horn as if that will amuse her enough to get over my departure.

i call the house 15 minutes later from a safe distance. she's already suckered the grandparents into a boat ride to town for an ice cream cone.

that's my little gal! good job avery! yep, she'll be fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home